The Church Historian's Press

November 1902

7 November 1902 • Friday

Attended to general business

8 November 1902 • Saturday

Went to Salt Lake by train Attended to business at Utah Lumber Co. also at C W & M Co and with George & Legrand went to Z.C.M.I. where we bought clothing &c on order of H J Robinson after which I went down to Sugar House and staid at Dr. Stephens Mother who has been there sick for about two weeks is gradually improving.

9 November 1902 • Sunday

At Sugar House. Spent the whole day with mother visiting.

10 November 1902 • Monday

Returned home by train. [p. 110]

11 November 1902 • Tuesday

I attended to general business Lum. & Imp. Attended Mutual in evening and lectured.

12 November 1902 • Wednesday

General work Lindsay’s theatre in evening.

13 November 1902 • Thursday

Attended to general work of the place

14 November 1902 • Friday

" " " " " "1

15 November 1902 • Saturday

" " " " " " 2 In evening I made settlement with J. W. Tate.

16 November 1902 • Sunday

I took my team and carriage and Prest. G. accompanied me to Grantsville where We attended and spoke at both School & meeting. I had exceptional liberty and spoke for 37 to 40 minutes. Returned home and attended evening meeting at Tooele.

17 November 1902 • Monday

Took Alice <Nina> & baby in buggy and all the little girls 4 walked with School and went down to greet the incoming train The first to carry passengers & freight over the wide guage [gauge] between Salt Lake & Terminus. We all rode over to Terminus & return on train. I attended to some business and assisted Jos. O Dunn in administering to his wife. Joel hauling lumber.

<Car of lumber Came out on first train.>3

18 November 1902 • Tuesday

Attended to General work. Traded Studebaker for Bain 3” wagon with Mr. Jackson. Joel & Sid Isgreen unloading car of lumber.

Nerva and Ruby ailing I administered to them before going to bed. Both rested well and better in the Morning. Wind blew hard all night.

19 November 1902 • Wednesday

Commenced snowing about 8 A.M. and continued all day. We unloaded lumber and Jo[e]l & Sid hauled a four horse load from Station. I wrote letters, posted accounts, wrote up Journal &c.

Preparations being made for Nerva’s marriage with Geo. L. Tate.

25 November 1902 • Tuesday4

Our daughter Alice Minerva and her intended husband accompanied by his mother Myself & wife, Sarah & baby went in to City on O.S.L. Ry. Wide guage [gauge] Our first trip on wide guage between Salt Lake & Tooele The first train having run [p. 111] from Salt Lake to Terminus Monday Nov. 7 <1902> By invitation we all went down to Dr Stephens & spent the evening. Mother & Sister Alice Ann were there. Alice Nerva & I with Sarah & baby Staid at Dr Stephens over night.

26 November 1902 • Wednesday

Weather pleasant.

Sugar House We went up to temple arriving there about 8 A.M. Met Geo. L & Sister Tate. I employed two men & one woman in temple work. and having one woman endowed of the three couples Alice & I were sealed for the three Couples. Nerva was married by Jno. Winder. We got out of temple about 3:30 P.M. Did some trading and went back to Dr Stephens where we were served with a nice supper turkey &c.

27 November 1902 • Thursday

Thanksgivings day. We all returned home and in evening after 5 P.M. had a nice reception. Those of our folks who came out were J H Robinson & wife, George & Pearl Robinson Alice Richards and Rhoda Knowlton besides our boys Geo & Legrand A most enjoyable time was had by all so far as known. The newly wedded couple received many nice & some valuable presents. I gave them a 15 lb. feather bead [bed] best feathers.

28 November 1902 • Friday

Straightened up, took borrowed dishes tables, chairs &c home. Some of the folks returned home.

29 November 1902 • Saturday

Our Quarterly conference convened at Tooele. J H Smith of Apostles & Rulen S. Wells were present. Had good meetings. Had a number of people here to meals & several to sleep.

30 November 1902 • Sunday

Conference continued. I spoke in School. Offered closing prayr of Conference.

In evening I took my team & Bro J. H. S. and went over to Lake View where we [p. 112] attended to the dedicating of their New Meeting house after Dedicatory prayr by Elder Smith I spoke about 30 minutes followed by Bro Smith. Returned home after meeting Bro. Wells attended evening meeting here.

Cite this page

November 1902, The Journal of George F. Richards, accessed July 18, 2024