George Q. Cannon, Journal, 29 Jan.–31 Dec. 1876; 262 inscribed journal pages and 9 inscribed pages of financial accounts; Church History Library, Salt Lake City.
Pocket-size journal, measuring 5⅞ × 3¼ × 1 inches (15 × 8 × 3 cm). The journal was published as an “Excelsior” journal for the year 1876. The front matter of the journal provides printed reference information, such as a calendar, postage rates, and state populations. Each page of the journal itself has a header containing the name of the month, the day of the week, and the year; three pink lines provide a border for the header, two lines above it and one below. Below the header, each page is lined with twenty-nine blue lines.
The journal has a dark brown leather cover, an overlapping flap, and a built-in dual pocket at the back of the volume for loose papers. The flap has a round strip of leather to hold a pen or pencil. An additional pocket is found at the front of the volume. The inside covers have light blue pastedowns. The first flyleaf bears the inscription “1876” in graphite. At a later point, a small red-bordered archival label was pasted to the upper left corner of the front cover. In black ink, the label reads: “No. 9 | G.Q.C. Journal | 1876 | Contest-Judge Bask[i]n | Washington & Utah”.
The journal begins on 29 January 1876, and entries were made fairly consistently thereafter through 23 August. Entries resume on 1 November. An unidentified scribe began writing in the journal on 6 August and apparently wrote for Cannon through the end of the year. Entries occasionally fill more than one page, in which case the preprinted date in the header was changed by hand. Nine pages of financial accounts appear at the back of the journal.
In 1932, Sylvester Q. Cannon, who was then acting as the Presiding Bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, donated George Q. Cannon’s journals to the First Presidency. The First Presidency transferred the journals to the Church History Department in late 2008.