The Church Historian's Press

August 1851

1 August 1851 • Friday

do. do.

2 August 1851 • Saturday

Held meeting this evening very few in attendance.

3 August 1851 • Sunday

Held meeting to-day, and spoke upon various subjects. The conference to organise the branch was appointed to meet upon Wednesday next.

4 August 1851 • Monday

There was a man of the name of Ka Pono [Kapono] who lived about two miles from here a member of the Calvinistic church, he had some little conversation with me upon the principles—he had first had his attention aroused by Bro. Kaleohano conversing with him on the subject. after his conversation with me he had prayed to the Lord to show him which Church was right and he had a singular dream soon afterwards which he related to me to-day—he said he was looking toward the East and he seen the sun rising above the horizon but it was not brilliant as the sun it had a small light spot in the centre and all around this spot was dark shortly afterwards in looking toward the East again he beheld another sun rising but it had no dark spot about it was all light and brilliancy, while looking and wondering at this, a person came to him and told him that this was a representation of these two churches [Congregational and Latter-day Saint];—the first had a little light but the major part was darkness—and the other was a representation of the Church of Christ all light and brilliancy without any blemish all purity. He afterwards thought their came a strong wind and broke his house he was in considerable distress about it while in this situation he seen me approaching with a palapala in my hand to him1 I conversed with him & cheered him and told him to pray to God; I thought upon hearing this dream that the Lord had answered his prayer and had given him a plain manifestation of the true church.

5 August 1851 • Tuesday

Showery this afternoon.

6 August 1851 • Wednesday

Met according to appointment—I was blessed with considerable of the spirit—Bro. Kaleohano was appointed clerk—There were two ordained teachers—Bro. Kaleohano and Bro. Maiola—There were three deacons ordained—Bro. Pake Bro. Kahiki and Bro. Mahoe.2

7 August 1851 • Thursday

I [had] been thinking some days back of taking a trip to Lahaina to get letters as I was somewhat in hopes that I might have some news from home by this time. Bro. Kaleohano loaned me [a] horse. I arrived in Lahaina by sundown—my feelings upon riding into town this time were not as they had been on former occasions then I could picture to myself the smiling faces of the brethren with feelings of pleasure to greet me—now I rode in a stranger in the midst of strangers—these feelings were soon dispelled upon riding up to the house of Nalimanui by the warm reception I met with from the folks. The brother of N. [Jonathan Napela] with his wife was there they having just arrived from Honolulu—he said he had a letter from Bro. Bigler to me and that there was one in the Post Office.

8 August 1851 • Friday

Went down this morning to the Custom Office and obtained Bro. B’s letter—he was well and in good spirits he was progressing slowly in the language—he said he thought Bro. Wm. [Farrer] would be able to preach in a few weeks he had some good progress. His host Mr. Maikai had not received my letter that I had written to him neither had they received the letter I had written to them—I had put three letters in one e[n]velope, Mr. M’s and theirs and Bro. W. & D’s [Whittle and Dixon] to me Bro. W’s they had received the others were missing—this was singular to me as in case the letters were all directed inside of the envelope and if it should be torn they would arrive at their destination—I think there has been some trickery about these letters. Bro. B. was residing at a place called Koolau [Ko‘olau] about 9 or 10 miles from Honolulu with a friend of Mr. M’s3 he should reside there he said about a month and then return to H.; Bro. Wm. was on the other side of the Island.—This afternoon I went and seen some white men that Bro. K. [Keeler] had conversed with while living in Lahaina he had left his voice of Warning with them—I found them very cool on the subject of the Gospel. I Saturday wrote two letters to-day one to Bro’s. Bigler & Farrer and one to Bro. Hawkins. I was disappointed by not receiving any letters from home.

9 August 1851 • Saturday

Before leaving this morning Nalimanui offered me a dollar which I refused telling her that she was a widow and to keep it, it would not be right for me to take money from her—she said she done it because of her love to me I told her that was already very apparent to me as she had treated me from the first as if I was her son—I said I had asked the Lord to bless her for it, and he would do it. Her son-in-law Jose a spaniard was also quite kind to me. I started this morning and arrived at Waiakoa after dark.

10 August 1851 • Sunday

Held meeting this morning I felt weak and hemahema in the language I called upon the Lord to assist me, and I had my prayers answered and had a good flow of the spirit. I preached upon the first principles. There were two requested to be baptised a man and a woman, it was proposed to wait until after the afternoon meeting as the water was some distance in consequence of the drought. Held meeting in the afternoon the brethren bearing their testimony to the truth of the doctrines—one Bro. Maiola said he was a teacher in that [Congregational] Church but he said that it was a hypocritical Church fair upon the outside but rotten within—this he had proved. Attended to the baptism—the young man had been educated in the Calvin church here—but afterwards joined the Catholics, he had been imprisoned and ill used and finally tried before the king [Kamehameha III] for joining the Catholics it being the commencement of their operations here—the king had dismissed him not finding anything in him that came within the scope of the laws—he was quite notorious all over the islands for this thing he had been a school teacher for the Calvinists and afterwards for the Catholics.

11 August 1851 • Monday

Started this morning Bros. Kaleohano, and two others of the brethren for Koolau, the roads were very dusty for about six miles. Afterwards the roads were not dusty nor miry as they were when we returned, on account of our late start, night overtook us a good distance from Keanae but the moon arose about an hour after sunset and made it pleasant travelling upon arriving at Honomanu we stopped at the house of Bro. Kinolau and eat they had gone to bed when we arrived but arose and prepared food for us. We arrived at Keanae towards midnight. They were all glad to see us; the luna here had returned from Hana they had forbid him consenting to us having the house and had condemned him for letting us have it before; a Native preacher who had been educated at the High School at Lahainaluna told the people that we were a Church without a head as our head [Joseph Smith] had been killed &c. &c. It was nothing very serious his opposition as I expect.4 They Judge had taken the office of constable from those who had joined the Church who held that office <&> had tried to get them to forsake the Church;—there were some very weak on account of the opposition and some they told had turned.5

12 August 1851 • Tuesday

Tired from the effects of yesterday’s travel.

13 August 1851 • Wednesday

Baptised and confirmed three to-day, two of them members of the Calvinistic Church, one a luna in the Church and a man very much respected: This morning I started for Wailua about two miles as I expected they were rather weak up there.6 Held meeting there in the afternoon had a good flow of the spirit. I went and seen the lunas there to get the privilege of preaching in the Meeting House but they refused for fear of getting into difficulty.

14 August 1851 • Thursday

Meeting twice to-day morning and evening. baptised two young men.

15 August 1851 • Friday

Bro. Namakaiona came with a horse for me to return early this morning. after morning meeting returned with him. The folks at Honomanu had requested several of them to be baptised I therefore thought it best to go there they proposed for us to go in a canoe as there were several bad hills to climb. Bro. Keeler accompanied me—they Catholics had a meeting and a fast to-day—the luna of the Calvinistic Church had gone and there was no one there that could dispose of the Meeting House—I thought I would go and see the Catholic lunas—I accordingly went up to their Meeting House and spoke to them about getting their Meeting House—they said they would propose it to the brethren and after they had finished their meeting which would be short I could have it. I went in and they gave me a seat—the luna then commenced the meeting by exhorting the people and said that I had requested the Meeting House—after he had got thro’ they knelt in rows before the altar with a crucifix suspended above the altar and one man knelt he commenced and they all repeated after him with their eyes fixed upon the crucifix it reminded me of the saying in the Scriptures this people worship me with their lips while their hearts are far off.7 After a long string of prayers to Mary &c. &c. they ceased and sat down; and two others arose and exhorted. They then knelt again and repeated their prayers again. They then told me I was at liberty to baptise preach. I spoke upon the first principles of the gospel and showed the necessity of the Lord again revealing his will to man with the pure principles of the Gospel. The[y] listened very attentively to all I had to say—I then gave an invitation to all who wished to be baptised to come forward. Bro. Keeler officiated and baptised five and afterwards confirmed them.8 Bro. Kinolau prepared dinner for us and we eat.

In returning Bro. K. [Keeler] was sick at his stomach, but did not vomit. This afternoon a meeting of the boys and young men having been appointed by Bro. Kaleohano I attended and listened with pleasure and gratification to their remarks—they spoke well and to the point—they do not seem to have the bashfulness to contend with that the white boys have as a general thing. I felt the spirit very much.

16 August 1851 • Saturday

Baptised 12 to-day afterwards returned and confirmed them under the bowery constructed by the brethren and sisters for the purpose of meeting.9—While confirming I was seized with a sudden sickness and faintness and could scarcely stand—I felt very unwell indeed. In the afternoon there came a young woman accompanied by Bro. Kaleohano to be baptised Bro. K. said he had explained the principles to her. Bro. Keeler went and baptised her and afterwards I confirmed her. A meeting this evening I exhorted the Saints to put away every thing that was wrong far from them and if they had sinned any of them one to another to ask forgiveness and eat the Lord’s feast with pure hearts &c.

17 August 1851 • Sunday

Had meeting at daylight in the morning, the brethren spoke around and added a few remarks. Held a10 meeting this morning a good many in attendance I spoke upon the gathering of Israel and of the works of the Lord in the last days, it was a weak attempt I had to pull every thing out that I said it did not come easy. The only way that I could account for it was I had made up in my own mind yesterday what subject I would speak upon—and the Lord had left me to my own strength to show me my weakness. It is a fact I have proved it to my satisfaction that I cannot preach this gospel unless assisted by the Almighty. During the intermission11 baptised 15 they were principally Catholics. Met in afternoon and confirmed them—it threatened to be rainy in the afternoon I told the saints to pray that the Lord would bless us with pleasant weather—we then administered the Sacrament and the brethren spoke their feelings. We were blessed with fine weather and dismissed the meeting—soon afterwards it commenced raining and did not cease all the evening.12

18 August 1851 • Monday

To day had been appointed for a conference to organise the branches—13as I forgot to mention that we received a note on Saturday by a native from three of the brethren at Lahaina whose names were Bros. P. [Philip] B. Lewis, [Francis A.] Hammond and [John S.] Woodbury—it was dated Monday, Aug. 11th, it said they had been appointed a mission to these Islands and they wished to see us as soon as possible14 it was with feelings of delight that cannot be easily described that we received this news—and in consequence of this letter we thought it advisable to hold the conference to-day (Monday) and start for Lahaina to-morrow.15 I spoke upon the organization of the church the 6th of April, 1830 with six members and of its spread and explained the commencement of it, Joseph’s visions and concerning the Book of Mormon and the Urim and Thummim and proved its uses from the scripture &c. I <was> blessed with a great deal of the spirit and the congregation were much affected at times—I explained to them the remark made by the native who spoke about these things at Hana that we were a church without a head I told [them] that our head was Jesus Christ but that we had a head upon the earth now [Brigham Young] who stood as Peter did formerly to receive revelations &c. &c. and every thing necessary to guide the Church aright.—We then organized the conference and appointed Bro. Kaleohano clerk—there were four branches organized Keanae, Wailua, Waianu, Honomanu, there were three teachers appointed—two Bros. Paulo Mawaewa [Maewaewa], & Namakaiona for Keanae one Bro. Kapapu for Wailua;—there were ten deacons appointed—three, Bros. Kuaana, Kekahuna, Kaihu, for Keanae;—two, Bros. Hawele, and Kaluawahinenui for Wailua;—two, Bro’s. Kaleo and Kanepaike for Waianu;—two, Bros. Kinolau, and Kekahuna for Honomanu;—one, Bro. Waiwaiole for a small settlement inland that were organised in the Keanae branch I instructed the brethren in their offices &c. and exhorted [them] to forsake the use of Tobacco &c. and set examples to the Church.16 This morning before meeting we had rain and although it looked very threatening during the time of the meeting yet it kept off until after meeting was dismissed. Since the receipt of the letter from the brethren at Lahaina I have been very anxious to start to meet with them. Bro. Lewis I am some little acquainted with, Bro. Hammond I know by sight but have no acquaintance with him, and Bro. Woodbury I may know but do not know by name. Bro. H. is an old resident upon these islands, left here for California and there joined the Church and went from there to the Valley and married in the fall of 1848 since which time he has been residing there.

19 August 1851 • Tuesday

Started this morning for Lahiana, roads were tolerably good and it was a warm pleasant morning. Stopped at Honomanu at the house of Bro. Kinolau and eat—Bro. Ehu accompanied us from Keanae to take care of Bro. Keeler’s horse;—we arrived at Waiakoa about sun-down the animals were weak. They appeared glad to see us.

20 August 1851 • Wednesday

Bro. Keeler met a man yesterday that he was acquainted with who told him that they [the new elders] had their families with them—this if anything heightened our anxiety to see them—altho’ we thought that they would have some trials to contend with and would have need of the spirit of the Lord to assist them.—This morning we started by break of day—Bro. Kaleohano furnished me with a fresh horse—we rode carefully as Bro. K’s horse and Bro. Ehu’s were rather weak, we arrived in Lahaina about 4 o’clock—Bro. E put up at his brother-in-law’s and took charge of our horses we changed our shirts and started to seek the brethren—we enquired of a native that we met in the street—he said that he had not heard of the arrival of the strangers but he had seen Bro. Bigler landing from the Kaluna with some other white men. We were surprised a little at this as we had no idea of seeing him here we thought it best to go to Nalimanui’s as we thought it very likely that Hy. would be apt to go there if he came to Lahaina—They had not seen him, but said they knew of two white women having come to Lahaina—Hoohuli accompanied us to their house and we greeted with pleasure—Bro’s. Lewis, Bigler, Hammond, Farrer and Woodbury, as well as Sisters [Jane] Lewis and [Mary Jane] Hammond—Sis. H. recognised me as soon as I came in the yard—she being an old acquaintance a friend of my sister Anne’s. Bro. Woodbury had left his wife [Elvira Woodbury] at the coast for want of means and as [s]he was not very well it was thought best for him to come—and she would be able to follow him shortly. Bro. & Sis. H. had a fine little boy about 11 months old [Francis, Jr.]—it done me a great deal of good to look upon the faces of the brethren and sisters.—After writing us the letter Bros. L. & H. had gone to Oahu [O‘ahu] to find the brethren there—and had returned this afternoon <with Bro’s. Bigler & Farrer>—they were considerably disappointed at not finding us here. I received lots of letters and papers [newspapers] from home with a daguerreotype likeness of my Elizabeth [Hoagland],17 and my sister Elizabeth with which I was much pleased[.] E.18 has grown [into] a fine girl and is very pretty—it made me feel peculiar to gaze upon this likeness and read the letters and the newspapers—I felt that I would return an almost entire stranger to my folks and to almost every thing in the Valley. The brethren bring word that Bro. P. [Parley] P. Pratt is in San Francisco with part of his family—he has come out as Pres. of the Pacific Mission and will probably sail to Chili after awhile.19 Bro’s. Amasa Lyman and Chas. [Charles] C. Rich has come out with a colony to Lower California.20 Bro. H. Clarke [Hiram Clark] was in San Francisco having left Tahiti in company with Bros. [Thomas] Tompkins and [Joseph] Busby—they reports matters as in rather an unfavorable state there in consequence of the interference of the French Government.21 Bro. [Hiram] Blackwell was also in San Francisco;—he and Bro. Clarke both joined in crying down [decrying] the Islands—Bro. B. said we would have to leave—we would have to work to make a living &c. &c. Bro. F. [Farrer] had baptised two men upon Oahu;—Bro. B. [Bigler] was still very backward in the language. His host Mr. Maikai wrote me a letter.—I received a letter from Aunt [Leonora] and Mary Ann [Taylor];—two from Charles and Mary Alice [Lambert] with a few lines in one written by Anne [Cannon] <;—> one from Anne; two from Bro. [Joseph] Cain with newspapers [Deseret News] from Aug 17th/50 to Mar. 8/51 inclusive;22—one from Angus [Cannon] written from Little Salt Lake Valley he having gone there with a company under Bro. Geo. [George] A. Smith to make a settlement;23—one from Elizabeth [Hoagland];24 one from Chauncy [Chauncey] W. West;—and one from Bro. C. C. Rich San Francisco, Cal.—the last dates from home were June 8th, one from Chas. and one from Bro. Cain—Anne had had an attack of the cholera morbus25 but was recovering.—I expect there will be considerable disappointment at my not returning this fall—their minds all seem to be set upon my coming back this fall. Uncle [John Taylor] is not coming back until next fall26—they are considerably disappointed at receiving this news as they have made every calculation upon his return this fall. (51) [1851] Bro. Cain writes me good counsel and I was pleased to see that I have the same spirit as my brethren—he says as it is my first mission and I should see that the good of the cause demanded it, if he were me he would stay and endeavor to do something before returning—David [H. Cannon] is working in the Printing office.27 Leonora [Cannon] is small but smart. My step-mother and husband [Mary Edwards White Cannon Taylor and Charles B. Taylor] have arrived in the Valley; she is the mother of two boys [Charles E. and Thomas E. Taylor] by her present husband. Bro. Cain has charge of the Printing and Post Office—Bro. A. [Arieh] C. Brower is in the Printing Office.

21 August 1851 • Thursday

We arose this morning and repaired to the beach as it was thought best yesterday evening to renew our covenants, and be baptised; Bro. L—baptised me;—we returned ate breakfast and then attended to the confirming. We afterwards talked matters over in regard to the mission. Bro. P. B. Lewis had been appointed by Bro. Pratt as Pres. of this mission to fill the place of Bro. Clarke.28 He said his feelings prompted him to stay in Lahaina—Bro. Hammond was an old resident of Lahaina and had brought leather &c. along with him; he had some thoughts of sending to Honolulu to get a man to take charge of a shop and do the shoemaking and Bro. H. find the stock;—he thought that his share of the proceeds would support him. It was thought advisable for Bro. Woodbury to go to Hawaii as a companion for Bro. Hawkins. It was thought best for Bro’s. Bigler and Farrer to stay upon Oahu;—and for Bro. Keeler and me to stay where we had been laboring.29

22 August 1851 • Friday

Bro. K. started back with his companion this morning;—I thought I would stay over Sunday, as the brethren were going to have a meeting and <to> preach to the Whites. Bro. Bigler also concluded to go this afternoon as there was a vessel going to Honolulu. Bro. Wm. F. [Farrer] thought he would stay until Monday as there was a vessel going to sail then.

23 August 1851 • Saturday

Pasted up notices through town to-day appointing a meeting for Sunday at the house of Mr. [James] Kipp;—Bro’s. Lewis & Hammond had been to see Mr. [Rev. Dwight] Baldwin about the Bethel but he did not consider himself at liberty to let them have the Bethel as he said he did not believe it was customary for them to do so in the States.30

24 August 1851 • Sunday

Went to hear Mr. B. preach in Native it was principally upon the evils of whoredom &c. &c. there was nothing very edifying:—we stayed until near our own time of meeting and then returned. There was a tolerable attendance; Bro. Lewis preached he was laboring under a severe cold and did not feel like preaching—but done very well considering that it was his first attempt before a congregation. After he had got thro’ he gave the congregation the privilege of asking questions one man commenced and went on at a great rate about Joe. Smith and the gold plates &c. &c.; he appeared to have a little liquor in him. As it was likely to break up in a row Bro. L. dismissed the meeting.—We all felt bad at the result of the meeting as there was anything but a good spirit in the house and we were afraid that they would not come to hear again. After returning to the house, we united in prayer and felt to request the Lord to bless us this afternoon in endeavoring to set forth the principles of truth. Bro. Lewis thought I had better try and speak this afternoon. We met at 4 o’clock and had an attendance about like the morning. I spoke upon the first principles of the Gospel and was blest with a good flow of the spirit—the man that commenced asking questions in the morning broke in upon <me> in the middle of my discourse—I told him to sit still that I believed this meeting was for me—that if he had anything to say he would please wait until I got thro’—he then sat quiet until I was nearly thro’—he commenced again—I called upon Mr. Kipp to put a stop to his noise—Judge Parsons also told him he must be quiet or they should certainly dispose of him in a way that would be anything but agreeable—he then sat quiet until meeting was over. After I got thro’ Bro. Hammond told his reasons for joining the Church and also bore his testimony to the truth of the work. We then sung and I dismissed the meeting. There seemed to be a good feeling this afternoon—we all felt the spirit more sensibly than we had after the disturbance of the morning.

25 August 1851 • Monday

Writing home to Aunt to-day,31 also a letter to Bro. Parley [Pratt];32—and one to Bro. Hawkins by request of Bro. Lewis. Bro. Wm. left this afternoon for Honolulu Bro. Hammond and I accompanied him down to the beach—the Collector of the Port came and told us that there were two letters in the Office for me from California. One was from Bro. Cain it was dated April 11th—there was no news of any importance worthy of noting here. The other was written by Bro. [John] Dixon from Greenwood Valley—he was well and endeavoring Bro. W. [Thomas Whittle] & him and in fact all the brethren to get ready to return the 1st of Sept. to the Valley—they had received my first lot of letters directed for the Valley and had forwarded them.

This evening Bro. Hammond and myself waited upon Mr. Baldwin and conversed until after ten upon various subjects of our doctrine I had understood that a gentleman had said that he was [the] most non-committal man that he ever conversed with. We thought that it was the case for he seemed to weigh every word and if we got upon any thing that he did not consider tenable—he would contrive to waive the subject.

26 August 1851 • Tuesday

I made ready to return this morning—I felt bad to part with the brethren and sisters—it seemed like leaving home—after living as I had been used to and associating with sisters of my own color and habits—it made it somewhat of a trial for me to return and mix with the Natives and conform to their manner of living again—but I was am laboring for a liberal master who knows that my motives are pure, and that my desire is to bring this people to a knowledge of the great and important principles of life and salvation and exalt them from their present debased state.—But it needs patience and perseverance in us and I do feel to request my Heavenly Father to enable <me> to labor without being discouraged at the obstacles that I may have to contend with.33 Bro. H. [Francis Hammond] and I administered to Bro. [Philip] Lewis before leaving as he was very unwell from the effects of his cold. Bro. H. accompanied me to where my horse was. I have not felt the pangs of parting more severe than I did this morning since I left home. Arrived at Waiakoa about eight o’clock. The folks were all well and appeared much rejoiced to see me.

27 August 1851 • Wednesday

Held meeting this afternoon; before meeting went and <baptised> five—four women and one man.

28 August 1851 • Thursday

Engaged variously to-day writing in Journal &c.

29 August 1851 • Friday

do. do.

30 August 1851 • Saturday

Wrote a letter a very long one to Bro. C. [Charles] C. Rich Pueblo de los Angeles, Cal.

31 August 1851 • Sunday

Spoke this morning upon the prophecies in regard to Zion and gave short account of the news I had received concerning the spread and increase of the work—baptised 12—males 8; females 4—in afternoon attended to the confirmation and the Lord’s supper—I gave the saints considerable instruction and exhorted them to persevere and to forsake everything evil.

Cite this page

August 1851, The Journal of George Q. Cannon, accessed June 25, 2024