Maria Susannah Merrick Thorn
July 1, 1811–September 18, 1889
1 Born at Windsor Castle, Berkshire, England; daughter of Mary Vaux and James Merrick. 2 Had four children with John Maddison, circa 1833–1846, but never married. 3 Baptized, 1848. 4 Immigrated to the United States aboard the Ellen Maria and traveled to the Salt Lake Valley, 1851. 5 Married William Thorn as a plural wife, 1852; two children. 6 Served as treasurer of the Salt Lake City Seventh Ward Relief Society. 7 Died at Salt Lake City. 8 (See Document 3.3)
-  “Utah Death Registers, 1847–1966,” p. 32 (1889), Maria S. Thorn; database and images, Ancestry.com (http://ancestry.com, accessed Jan. 2015); citing series 21866, from Utah Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, Utah State Archives and Records Service, Salt Lake City, UT.
-  “Utah Death Registers, 1847–1966,” database, Maria S. Thorn. “Family Tree,” database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org, accessed Jan. 2015), Maria Susannah Merrick KWVC-HQR .
-  “Family Tree,” database, Maria Susannah Merrick and John Francis Maddison Sr. LZNK-67Z . See Thomas Ray Watrous and Sandra Gale Watrous, “John Maddison Timeline 2008,” in “Public Member Stories,” database, Ancestry.com (http://ancestry.com, accessed Mar. 2015).
-  “Family Tree,” database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org, accessed Jan. 2015), Maria Susannah Merrick KWVC-HQR .
-  “Mormon Migration,” database, 1840–1932, Mormon Migration (http://mormonmigration.lib.byu.edu, accessed Jan. 2015), Maria S. Maddison; extracted from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Mormon Immigration Index CD (2000). “Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel,” database, 1847–1868, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel (http://history.lds.org/overlandtravels, accessed Jan. 2015), Maria Susanna Merrick Maddison.
-  Andrew Jenson, Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia (Salt Lake City: Andrew Jenson History Co., 1901), 1:610. “Family Tree,” database, Maria Susannah Merrick and William Thorn KWJC-PJK .
-  Minutes, Jan. 28, 1868, vol. 1, 1848–1869, Relief Society minutes and records, 1848–1922, Seventh Ward, Pioneer Stake, CHL.
-  “Utah Cemeteries and Burials,” database, Utah Division of State History (http://heritage.utah.gov/history/cemeteries, accessed Jan. 2015), Maria S. Thorn. Find a Grave, database and images (http://findagrave.com, accessed Jan. 2015), memorial no. 52009279, Maria Susanna Merrick Thorn; Salt Lake City Cemetery, Salt Lake City, UT.