John Samuel Perkins
December 28, 1821–May 20, 1887
1 Born at Weston Underwood, Buckinghamshire, England; son of Rosanna Kitchener and Samuel Perkins. 2 Baptized in England, circa 1841. 3 Married Sarah Plackett, 1845; participated in plural marriage. 4 Immigrated to the United States aboard the Minnesota and migrated to the Salt Lake Valley, 1868. 5 Settled in the Salt Lake City Sixteenth Ward. 6 Worked for the Utah Central Railroad and Union Pacific Railroad; witnessed the driving of the “Golden Spike” at Promontory, Box Elder County, Utah Territory, 1869. 7 Served as a seventy and a Sunday school teacher; became the first president of the Sixteenth Ward Primary, 1878. 8 Died at Salt Lake City. 9 (See Document 3.30)
-  “Utah Cemeteries and Burials,” database, Utah Division of State History (http://heritage.utah.gov/history/cemeteries, accessed Dec. 2014), John Perkins. “Deaths,” Deseret Evening News, May 21, 1887, .
-  “Deaths,” . Frank Esshom, Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah (Salt Lake City: Utah Pioneers Book Publishing Co., 1913), 621. Maiza Perkins Flanders, “History of John Samuel Perkins,” in “Family Tree,” database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org, accessed Jan. 2015), John Samuel Perkins LZZZ-LYR .
-  “Family Tree,” database, John Samuel Perkins.
-  Ibid.
-  “Mormon Migration,” database, 1840–1932, Mormon Migration (http://mormonmigration.lib.byu.edu, accessed Dec. 2014), John Perkins; extracted from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Mormon Immigration Index CD (2000). “Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel,” database, 1847–1868, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel (http://history.lds.org/overlandtravels, accessed Dec. 2014), John Perkins.
-  1870 U.S. census, Salt Lake City Ward 16, Salt Lake Co., Utah Territory, p. 677A, John Perkins; NARA microfilm publication M593, roll 1611. 1880 U.S. census, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., Utah Territory, p. 131B, John Perkins; from NARA microfilm publication T9, roll 1337. U.S. census digital images from Ancestry.com (http://ancestry.com, accessed Dec. 2014).
-  Esshom, Pioneers and Prominent Men, 621. Flanders, “History of John Samuel Perkins,” n.p.
-  Aurelia Spencer Rogers, “History of Primary Work—Letter from E. R. Snow,” in Life Sketches of Orson Spencer and Others, and History of Primary Work (Salt Lake City: Geo. Q. Cannon and Sons, 1898), 210–211. Book of Remembrance of Sixteenth Ward, Riverside Stake ([Salt Lake City]: Sixteenth Ward Book of Remembrance Committee, 1945), 103, CHL.
-  “Deaths,” . “Utah Cemeteries and Burials,” database, John Perkins.