1 Born at South Cottonwood, Great Salt Lake County, Utah Territory; daughter of Rachel Winter Smith and Nathan Tanner. 2 Married Franklin S. Richards, 1868; five children. 3 Lived at Ogden, Weber County, Utah Territory. 4 Served as secretary of the Ogden City Relief Society, assistant secretary of the Weber County Relief Society, president of the Ogden City Retrenchment Association, and first counselor in the Weber Stake Retrenchment Association. 5 Moved to Salt Lake City, 1884. 6 Served on the Relief Society general board, circa 1892–1922. 7 Participated prominently in local and national woman suffrage organizations. 8 Died at Salt Lake City. 9 (See Document 3.26, 3.28, 4.27)
-  “Utah Death Certificate Index, 1904–1961,” database and images, Utah State Archives (http://archives.utah.gov, accessed Dec. 2014); from Utah Department of Health, Office of Vital Records and Statistics, series 81448, file no. 1489/213 (1929), Emily Sophia Richards.
-  Utah death certificate, file no. 1489/213. Annie Wells Cannon, ed., In Memoriam: Emily Sophia Tanner Richards, ([Salt Lake City, 1929]), p. 7, CHL. “Family Tree,” database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org, accessed Dec. 2014), Emily Sophia Tanner KWJH-Y49 .
-  Utah death certificate, file no. 1489/213. Cannon, In Memoriam, 9–10.
-  1870 U.S. census, Ogden, Weber Co., Utah Territory, p. 492B, Emily S. Richards; NARA microfilm publication M593, roll 1613. 1880 U.S. census, Ogden, Weber Co., Utah Territory, p. 432C, Emily Richard [ sic ]; NARA microfilm publication T9, roll 1339. U.S. census database and images from Ancestry.com (http://ancestry.com, accessed Dec. 2014).
-  Cannon, In Memoriam, 10. Weber Stake Relief Society, Minutes, Oct. 30, 1877, vol. 6, pp. 23–34, 1877–1900, Relief Society minutes and records, 1867–1968, Weber [Utah] Stake, CHL.
-  Cannon, In Memoriam, 10.
-  Ibid., 11.
-  Ibid., 11, 15–21.
-  Utah death certificate, file no. 1489/213.