1 Born at Saybrook, Middlesex County, Connecticut; daughter of Catharine Cannon Curtis and Orson Spencer. 2 Married Hiram Bradley Clawson, 1850; fourteen children. 3 Appointed president of the Salt Lake City Twelfth Ward Primary, 1879, and as president of the Salt Lake Stake Primary, 1880. 4 Died at Salt Lake City. 5 (See Document 4.4)
-  Find a Grave, database and images (http://findagrave.com, accessed Apr. 2014), memorial no. 23681267, Ellen Curtis Spencer Clawson; Salt Lake City Cemetery, Salt Lake City, UT.
-  “Family Tree,” database, FamilySearch (http://www.familysearch.org, accessed Aug. 2014), Ellen Curtis Spencer KWJC-7P1 . Aurelia Spencer Rogers, Life Sketches of Orson Spencer and Others, and History of Primary Work (Salt Lake City: George Q. Cannon & Sons, 1898), 10–11.
-  “Family Tree,” database, Ellen Curtis Spencer. Rogers, Life Sketches, 122. Augusta Joyce Crocheron, Representative Women of Deseret (Salt Lake City: J.C. Graham & Co., 1884), 60–61.
-  Rogers, Life Sketches, 285–286. Crocheron, Representative Women, 61.
-  Rogers, Life Sketches, 283–284. Utah Division of State History, “Utah Cemeteries and Burials,” database, Cemeteries and Burials (http://heritage.utah.gov/history/cemeteries, accessed Apr. 2014), Ellen C. Clawson.