1 Born at Conway, Franklin County, Massachusetts; daughter of Bathsheba Hatsit and Edward Burgess. 2 Married first Anson Matthews, 1811; ten children. 3 Baptized, 1838. 4 Moved to Hancock County, Illinois, by 1840; lived in the Nauvoo Second Ward, 1842. 5 Joined the Female Relief Society of Nauvoo at its seventh meeting, May 12, 1842. 6 Married second Samuel C. Bent, 1846. 7 Migrated to the Salt Lake Valley, 1848. 8 Settled at Payson, Utah County, Utah Territory, circa 1856. 9 (See Document 1.2)
-  “Massachusetts, Births and Christenings, 1639–1915,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org, accessed Dec. 2014), Elisabeth [sic] Burgess, chr. Aug. 8, 1788; citing Conway, Franklin, Massachusetts; FHL microfilm 0873740 IT 2. Nauvoo temple records mistakenly list her birth year as 1787 and 1789; see Lisle G. Brown, comp., Nauvoo Sealings, Adoptions, and Anointings (Salt Lake City: Smith-Pettit Foundation, 2006), 26, 197. Payson Ward record of members, 1861, p. 36, entry for Elizabeth Bent, Payson Ward, Utah Stake, CHL. 1870 U.S. census, Payson, Utah Co., Utah Territory, p. 229A, Elizabeth Bent; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://ancestry.com, accessed Dec. 2014);NARA microfilm publication M593, roll 1612.
-  New England Historic Genealogical Society, Vital Records of Conway, Massachusetts to the Year 1850 (Haverhill, MA: Record Publishing Co., 1943), 31. “Family Tree,” database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org, accessed Dec. 2014), Elizabeth Burgess HW9L-TDK . Payson Ward Record of Members, 1861, p. 36.
-  “Family Tree,” database, Elizabeth Burgess and Anson Matthews KWJ1-GPP .
-  Payson Ward record of members, 1861, p. 36.
-  1840 U.S. census, [no city], Hancock Co., Illinois, p. 169, Anson Matthews; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://ancestry.com, accessed Nov. 2014); from NARA microfilm publication M704, roll 60. Lyman De Platt, Nauvoo Early Mormon Records Series, vol. 1 (Highland, UT, 1980), 46.
-  Nauvoo Relief Society Minute Book, 1841–1846, CHL, entry for May 12, 1842.
-  Brown, Nauvoo Sealings, Adoptions, and Anointings, 26.
-  “Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel,” database, 1847–1868, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel (http://history.lds.org/overlandtravels, accessed Dec. 2014), Elizabeth Burgess Bent.
-  Payson Ward record of members, 1861, p. 36. “Utah, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1850–1890,” p. 1068 (1856), Elizabeth Bennett [sic]; database, Ancestry.com (http://ancestry.com, accessed Nov. 2014); citing Utah 1856 Statehood Census Index, comp. Ron V. Jackson, Accelerated Indexing Systems, Provo, UT; from U.S. Federal Decennial Census, territorial/state censuses and/or census substitutes. 1860 U.S. census, Payson, Utah Co., Utah Territory, p. 859, Elizth [sic] Bent; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://ancestry.com, accessed Dec. 2014); NARA microfilm publication M653, roll 1314.